Simple tips to help you improve your employee’s work without conflict and aggression
Let’s start with the fact that discussing successes and failures in the work with the employees are a necessity. The person will not know what needs to be improved or done differently unless you tell them. Many articles have been written on how to share opinions about work, but few explain how to convey feedback that will be both kind and effective.
Let’s clarify: there is no negative feedback as such — there is a wrong tone and words. That is why it is very important how we speak and what arguments we make.
How to communicate your comments correctly so that the employee understands you?
- Be attentive to your work and do it well. Remember that the company is an organism in which everyone has a role. The role assigned to you is not a coincidence, the success of the direction in which you are assigned depends on you.
- Do not demand more from colleagues or subordinates than you can do yourself.
- If you notice someone’s victory or quality work — praise. Each of us tries to do our job well. If it is noticed by partners or colleagues, it becomes more interesting to repeat success, there is a passion for work.
- Constructive feedback and feedback are necessary for development, even if the discussion will be painful and unpleasant.
Always convey feedback on the principle of a sandwich: praise — criticism — praise. First, say that the person is doing well, note that his efforts are noticeable and valuable. Then share the negative feedback, suggest a solution, listen to the employee’s feedback and finally praise again so that the person does not have the feeling that he was blown to smithereens.
Algorithm of actions:
- Make notes with nuances that confuse or impress you in the work of the employee. I’m talking about specific situations and reactions that have happened to you or your colleagues. When you dare to say something that confuses you, it is desirable to have confirmation of your words or real examples. The subjective feeling that a colleague is doing something wrong is a weak argument.
- Do not resort to rumors and speculation.
- Get ready to talk. You can speak your dialogue aloud and think about what questions and objections you will receive in response.
- Think in advance which examples the employee will take best. We are all different and perceive information differently. Give examples and analogies from the area of human work, and preferably in simple words, the simpler — the better.
- Word order and intonation matter. Calm and measured pace and tone of conversation will help to avoid a protective reaction from the employee.
- Be prepared for the fact that the person will defend himself and defend his position. Remember that your goal is not to swear, but to convey feedback.
- And most importantly — offer a solution. Never go to a conversation just to share negative feedback, always offer your solution. So you automatically turn from a bad policeman into a good one, because you are not scolded, but prompted.
At the end, praise for the work done and indicate that you understand the complexity and value of the tasks assigned to the person.
And let me remind you once again that it is normal to make a mistake, it is bad to make the same mistake again.